Make this adorable No Sew Applique Rainbow Tote in just a few minutes using a store bought tote bag, iron-on adhesive and fabric scraps!
Do you ever see something online or at the store that even though it’s ridiculously cute, you can’t bring yourself to buy it? Because in your mind, you’re thinking to yourself, “I could totally make that!”
Please tell me I’m not the only one who does this… (Because I think this ALL THE TIME!)
I was on the Gymboree website recently and saw this adorable Rainbow Tote Bag. I really wanted it for my missy, but as I looked at it more, I realized I had every material needed to make our own version of the tote bag. (And yes, even though I didn’t buy the bag I did purchase the coordinating t-shirt and sequined sneakers – had to spend those gymbucks!)
Want more rainbow projects for Spring?
- Rainbow Crazy Sock/Leg Warmer Tutorial
- Upcycled Rainbow Leg Warmers (from sweaters)
- Rainbow Zipper Pouch Tutorial (made completely from zippers!)
- Easy Rainbow Sugar Cookies
- 30+ More Creative Rainbow Treats, Crafts and Sewing Projects (round up)
I mean really, is this not the cutest little bag? So perfect for spring!
I thought about painting the tote bag like the original version. I didn’t have all the paint colors needed, but the one thing I don’t have a shortage of is fabric. (Instagram Pic of my fabric stash… This was taken 2 years ago, so I’ll let you guess the status of my fabric collection now.)
If you want to make something similar, and don’t have all the necessary fabric, I suggest looking at the single fat quarter selection at Joann’s or Walmart and Fabric.com has tons of sets too. (They have tons of different colors and patterns and sometimes put the individual fat quarters on sale for as little as $.99) Hobby Lobby also has a great selection of glittered felt and Amazon has some nice felt variety packs.
More quick and easy no-sew fabric projects:
- No Sew Fabric Flowers
- No Sew Pillowcase Dress/Top (made from bandanas)
- No Sew 10 Minute skirt (upcycled from a man’s knit shirt)
- No Sew Tote Bag From a T-shirt
- No Sew Simple Fabric Bracelet Tutorial
- Textured Hearts Stenciled T-shirt (love making these out of t-shirts from the store to match the skirts I make!)
Ready to make a No Sew Applique Rainbow Tote for yourself?
Here’s how I did it!
- Tote bag (similar to this one, though I found my white one at Hobby Lobby.)
- Scrap fabric
- Pellon Easy Steam II
- Pencil/pen, paper, scissors, iron
- Optional Fabric Markers (I used the Tulip Dual-tip Fabric Markers)
1. If needed, tape a few pieces of paper together so the height and width match your tote.
Sketch your design on the paper. (Took me several edits to get it just right.) I went over my final sketch with a marker.
2. Cut out your design elements and lay everything out and make sure you are happy with the look/layout.
3. Follow the directions on the package of the Pellon Easy Steam to adhere the fusible web to the fabric. (I cut the rainbow pieces apart so it would be easier to use them as a template for each color.)
4. Remove the fusible web backing and line up the fabric pieces on tote. Iron according to directions.
I felt like the sun and clouds needed a bit more “pop,” so I used my fabric markers to add a bit of faux stitching.
That’s it, you’re done!
She loves this Rainbow tote bag! (Though I am very tempted to keep it for myself!)
Looking for more fun projects like this? Be sure to check these out:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!