This Cheesy Homestyle Sausage Grits Recipe is a favorite Southern dish. Overflowing with cheese and sausage this lightened up version is just as good as the original!
- 1 cup precooked Turkey Sausage crumbles
- 2 cups lowfat/skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup Healthy Request condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 4 packets (1 ounce each) instant grits
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup shredded 2% Mexican blend cheese
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 tsp Smart Balance Blended Butter Sticks, cut into tiny pieces
- *optional 1/8 tsp garlic powder (if you like garlic)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, mix together milk, soup, onion powder and optional garlic. Add the grits and stir until smooth.
- Mix in cheese, and sausage.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into 6 well greased ramekins and top each with 1 tablespoon of butter pieces. (I only had 4 ramekins and put the rest in a oven proof cereal bowl.)
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until heated through. (If you don’t have ramekins, use a 1.5 or 2 quart casserole dish and add about 10 minutes to the baking time- keeping your eye on it towards the end.)
1. Don’t fill your ramekins as full as mine. The grits will puff up a tiny bit while cooking and might cause the butter to overflow into the oven.
2. Even though this recipe is “lightened up,” it is still very rich will all the sausage, cheese and butter. You could easily lessen the amount of butter and sausage by a quarter of the amount called for and probably not even notice a difference…