Have you ever tried to make ice cream in a bag? This awesome little DIY project is perfect to keep the kids busy on a hot summer day! (Vanilla is super easy to make but you’ll definitely want to kick the fun up a notch with this Strawberry Ice Cream in a Bag Recipe!)
Happy Tuesday, I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day Holiday! The weather for us has been grey and rainy (thank goodness for the rain, we’ve been in a terrible drought.) But, with the rain, our Memorial Day plans were canceled and I had a couple of bored and very unhappy children on my hands.
I really hated having to break the bad news to them, since part of our plans included a sleepover with cousins… (Oh the tears and the drama!)
Luckily, I had a few ideas to banish those tears and entertain my little guys.
Have you ever made ice cream in a bag?
My kids loved making ice cream this way, and we hadn’t done this since last summer. So it was time to break out the rock salt and ziplock bags for this awesome little project!
Strawberry Ice Cream in a Bag
This fun and delicious little project is a tiny bit messy, so I do recommend doing it outside. It’s so worth it, I promise!
Looks amazing right? ( I can’t wait to try this with mint and chocolate chips!)
Like it? Don’t forget to pin it!Print
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup half n half or milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbs of pureed strawberries (If you want plain vanilla, just leave out the strawberries)
- 3 tbsp of sugar (possibly less if you prefer your ice cream less sweet)
- rock salt
- gallon size Ziploc bag
- quart size Ziploc bag
- kitchen towel
- Mix together the milk, cream, vanilla, sugar and strawberries in the quart size bag. Close the bag and be sure it is completely sealed. (Be careful not to get any strawberry puree in the “zippers”.)
- Fill the gallon-size bag 3/4 the way full of ice and add about 1/4 cup of rock salt to the bag of ice.
- Place the smaller bag of ice cream ingredients into the larger gallon bag and seal the bag.
- Wrap the kitchen towel around the bag and get to shaking the the bags like crazy for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the ice cream is ready.
- Open the bags carefully, you don’t want any ice water in your ice cream! Serve immediately and enjoy.
Looking for more yummy and kid friendly ideas? Be sure to check these out: